Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

23-year-old myopia (-25 both eyes) needs correction.

Hi, I am a 23-year-old male with myopia (-2.5 both eyes). I would like to know different sorts of procedures available to correct this and their details including the cost and required number of days. Thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Jan 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  1368
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Dear don, Thanks for the question. The amount of myopia which you have can be corrected by various methods. The most common and basic method would be to wear corrective glasses or wear contact lenses of appropriate power. The other modalities are somewhat invasive as they require you to undergo minor procedures with attendant post operative care. They are LASIK which can be done at one sitting involving a total of 1-2 hours including measurements and involve a cost of Rs 35000/- for 2 eyes. Recovery is almost instant but you have to continue medication for 3-4 weeks. Older methods like PRK and RK are still available but they have largely been superseeded by LASIK which is much safer.
Answered: Tue, 8 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
. We presume the procedure you were asking is about the surgical methods. Myopia may be corrected with glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery. Depending on your vision problem, you may need to wear your glasses or contact lenses all the time or only when you need distance vision, like driving, seeing a chalkboard or watching a movie. If you're nearsighted, your prescription is a negative number. The higher the numeral, the stronger your lenses will be.Refractive surgery can reduce or even eliminate your need for glasses or contacts. The most common procedures are performed with an Excimer laser. In photorefractive keratectomy, or PRK, the laser removes a layer of corneal tissue, which flattens the cornea and allows light rays to focus closer to or even on the retina. In laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) is the most common refractive procedure. Then there's Orthokeratology, a non-surgical procedure where you wear special contact lenses that slowly reshape the cornea over time to correct your myopia. When the lenses are removed, the cornea temporarily retains the new shape, so you can see clearly without the lenses. With orthokeratology or corneal refractive therapy (CRT), an orthokeratology-like procedure you wear cornea-shaping lenses at night, so you have daytime vision without contacts or glasses. Another surgical procedure for correcting mild myopia is the implantation of plastic corneal rings, which also alter the shape of the cornea. One advantage of the rings is that they may be removed in case of a problem or adjusted should your prescription change. They can also be left in place permanently. We suggest you LASIK as the choice. To know whether you are a good candidate for LASIK you can follow this link lasik Guidelines. The cost depends on the institute and the technology it uses for the procedure. The number of days of hospitalization is 24 to 48 hrs usually without complications.
Answered: Wed, 10 Feb 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor