Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

18 yrs old having increased bilirubin levels, other blood tests normal. Possible causes ?

Good day! I am 18 years old and have a problem with increased bilirubin levels since I was 16 years old. Last November 2010, I had my first test containing my bilirubin. And the total bilirubin level was 70+. We were shocked as well as my doctor that s why I d undergone to ultrasound. But Thank God I have no problem with my liver , spleen and gallbladder . After that, I have to checked if I have Hepa . But it was all negative. So they just advised me to eat butterball candies. After few months (May 2011) my total bilirubin went down to 30+. I don t feel any symptoms. Last October 2012, I had a test again for my bilirubin and it became 21. So, doctor, please help me to find answers concerning this matter. Thank you so much!
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  312
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Concerned.,
Thanks for writing to us.
You could be having in all probability congenital Hyperbilirubinaemia which is a result of congenital absence of certain enzymes in liver 's function at cellular level.
There are various eponymous terms such as Gilbert's Syndrome//Criggler Najjar's Syndrome//Rotor's Syndrome//Dubin Johnson's Syndrome named after the Hepatologists who have discovered the same.
In some cases an enzyme called Glucuronyl Transferace is congenitally absent leading to unconjugated Hyperbilirubinaemia.
The bilirubin levels can be brought down by use of medicines such as Phenobarbitone but the side effects are more so they have to be abandoned after a short time treatment
Most of these are not life threatening. But excercise caution in that you should not consume any hepatotoxic drugs such as Paracetamol etc. In addition alcohol is a strict No No.Have a high carbohydrate and fat free diet.
Kindly Consult a Hepatologist and evaluate whether it is a Congenital/Acquired Hyperbilirubinemia and also USG abdomen and Pelvis to pinpoint the cause of the syndrome and institute the evidence based treatment accordingly.
Wish you a quick recovery.,
Best regards.,
Dr Lt Cdr ASN Bhushan.
Answered: Fri, 16 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor