Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

18 years old having body aches and fever. Eating healthy. Had growing pains before. Medications?

My son is 18 years old and a few years ago, was diagnosed with growing pains . Granted, he s since sprouted a lot (now at approximately 6 feet ). At that time, the doctor recommended vitamin C and iron, as well as more milk intake, and advil for the pain. That worked wonderfully. My son continued this regimen for a full year until we believed he was fine. More recently in the last few months, he s been physically training to join a summer program offered through the Canadian Forces. Running, lifting weights, and he s been eating extremely healthy, lots of fruits/vegetables, minimal red meats (preferring fish), lots of water (never much of a soda drinker). Unfortunately the pains started again a few days ago. Just a short while ago, he came to me crying, in pain. He s feverish and his entire body aches, he confirmed that it s the exact same pain he felt a few years back. I ran a hot bath for him, gave him some advil and also vitamin C (it s all I had in the cupboard). My question is, can it still be growing pains with his being 18? Should we re-start the routine from a few years ago? ie: vitamins , milk, advil, etc? I suggested to him that he may have just been overdoing his training and his body needs to balance out with the vitamins. I look forward to your response, thank you! Arlette
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
,   ,  
General & Family Physician 's  Response
From history it seems that he might be having some vitamin, Iron deficiency.
He was alright with multivitamin and iron but now due to training more strain and more energy might have given this problem.
Before starting previous medications, it is better to go for few investigations.
Go for B12 blood level, Hemoglobin estimation etc.
After reports go for specific treatment.
Give him high protein diet.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Fri, 25 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor