Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

17 year old want to increase height. Will it help if I change my exercise regime?

Hey, I am 1.61 cm tall (5 feet 4) and i ve been going to gym for 6 months.This month i got 17. I trained hard and got in best shape of my life. My chest , legs, arms are bigger that any person my age but i haven t grown any inch.Do you think that gym affected my heigh? My parents are 1.60(mom) and 1.73 (dad). Do you think that i may grow any inch anymore? I never took suplements, just ate alot of eggs , meat, vegetables, milk and cheese. Do you think that i should switch from gym to swimming? Or just continue my trainings at the gym? Thanks in advance.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  73
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Height depends upon various factors and one of the very important factor is your genes.
If your parents are short you tend to get less height.
However their is nothing to despair as a male keeps on increasing his height till the age of 21 to 22 years.It is at this age that epiphysis of long bones fuse and further increase of height is very minimal.
You must carry on with your current exercise regime and have good nutritious diet consisting of green veggies,fresh fruits,nuts etc.
Have proper sleep in night and avoid smoking and drugs.
You shall definitely attain more height.
Keep it up.
Answered: Mon, 8 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor