Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

17 year old having the habit of telling lies. What can be done?

My son is 17 years studying in 11th standard in a village in kerala. He is telling lies, in the company of bad boys,taking money from home, any situation he is not open at home. he took my (father) identity and took a phone connection and is having a phone which we did not get for him. Like this too many activities...any help, how can i bring him to normal or understand the situation. I am working away from home, mother and son at home, my daughter staying at hostel for studies. anything he ask we provide but still he continue to be like this.
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
From the description you have given, it appears that your son is having a problem called conduct disorder, although we need to find out more details before we can make a certain diagnosis. If these things persist, they are bound to increase and later he may land up with antisocial personality disorder, which then has a bad prognosis. First thing you can do is stop punishing him and never use violence against him. It will simply aggravate the things. You should appreciate, what ever good thing he does, even though you feel it is trivial and is expected from him. Tell him that he will get a reward if he does a group of good things and then reward him appropriately. Its advisable for you to come and stay with the family and spend quality time with your son. There are certain drugs available which will help in modifying his behaviors but then as i said we need to confirm his diagnosis after having a detailed talk with him.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Thanks and have a nice day.
Answered: Mon, 17 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Samik Basu's  Response
Ur child needs not abuse or punish him...give him time and try to counsel him.Award him if he stops doin these things.If it does not help.Get help of a qualified child psychologist.I hope he gets well soon.
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor