Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

16 year old has a cyst on the chest. Surgery suggested. Need to be worried?

My 16 year old son has had a fatty-type cyst on his chest for 3-4 years. Our pediatrician told us not to worry about it because it was moveable. That doctor retired and we had a visit with a new doctor today. She measured the cyst (2.5 cmX2.5cm) and was concerned about the size. She referred us to a surgeon to have it removed. Is this a cause for concern or just a precaution?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  17
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

What you are talking about is most likely lipoma - a very common benign tumor of the soft tissues. It can have vary sizes and there is no size which would be life threatening. This tumors does not get cancerous. The only reason it can be removed is cosmetic reason.
If you want to take a precaution, and dont want to remove it, ultrasound should tell what kind of tissue is inside this lump.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sun, 21 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor