Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

11 yr old diagnosed with Thalassemia intermedia. What's the best treatment ?

Hi i got a question about my niece.. she is 11 years old, her weight is around 24 kgs.. Around a year back she s been diagnosed with Thalassemia intermedia .. she is got a 16 inch of spleen and her Hb remains around 9 to 10.. so, i was wondering what would be the best treatment for her?? and how to reduce the size of spleen?? Thanks.
Asked On : Thu, 30 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Sep 2012
Hi, Welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das
In thalassemia intermedia, it is unlikely to have such a huge spleen. Are there any other symptoms like gum bleeding, chronic infection etc?
For thalassemia intermedia basically you only need Folic acid supplementation. And if Hemoglobin level fall below 9 then blood transfusion is the treatment of choice.
In my opinion go for a complete blood test (CBC) with a query for abnormal cells.
Answered: Thu, 6 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor