Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

11 year old having uneven teeth arrangement. Do I need braces?

Hi I m kiara I m 11 years old I want to know if I need braces. On the top my teeth are pretty messed up.ok on top my first top front tooth goes over some of my other top front tooth then right next to them booth the other one are kind of turned a little bit then I have the canines which I have to lise yet. Then on bottom on my 4 front teeth arevmessed up more the fourth one is behind one then the other one is behind the one of my front bottom teeth then the other side is the same as the other so will I need braces and/ or a retainer plzz contact me at sweet YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  145
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
since you have got both milk teeth and permanent teeth at this stage,
it is better to wait until you get all your permanent teeth erupted.
this will take around 13 years of age.
so its better to consult your dentist after 13 years.
now your teeth are in ugly duckling stage,so they are irregularly placed.
it will rearrange to some extent at the age of 12.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
Hello & welcome
As this is pretty clear from your history that you have very crowded teeth.
But you can't opt for any orthodontic treatment before the age of 13 years, because once all of your permanent teeth will erupt only than we can start up with braces.
Rest your upper front teeth will get corrected by itself as soon as your canine will fully erupt, this is a self correcting anomaly known as 'ugly duckly satge'.
So wait for some time and than visit to your dentist.
take care and thanks.
Answered: Thu, 10 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
The way you told about your teeth alignment suggests you need to correct them . For it first get an OPG and Lateral Cephalogram done .As you said you are 11 yrs now that all your permanent teeth would not have erupted and the apexification of all teeth completed . So you can wait till you are 13yrs because by that time all your teeth will be erupted and roots formed completely and also few teeth get into alignment by itself , usually this appears ugly and is refers to as ugly duckly stage which is common in all the children during the eruption of permanent teeth. So you can counsult an orthodontist for this treatment.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hi kiara welcome to HCM,
You are little young to go for orthodontic treatment, at this stage you have got mixed dentition,your permanent canines and premolars are still to erupt in the oral cavity, we can decide about your final teeth alignment and occlusion only after 13 years of your age. at this stage it is common to have messed up dentition both upper front ant lower front permanent and few milk teeth called ugly duckling stage. after 13 years you may find your front teeth nicely aligned and thats possible, so only after that you should consult a orthodontist for the treatment. take care.
Answered: Sat, 19 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

I would like to tell you that your child is having a mixed dentition that is presence of both milk and permanent tooth, it is very early for the orthodontic treatment you will have to wait for the permanent teeth to errupt.
Your upper tooth will get corrected by itself after the erruption of upper canines, this is an self correcting anomoly known as ugly duckling stage.
Dental braces can be applied after the erruption of the permanent teeth to your daughter.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response
Hi Kiara,

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand that you are unhappy about the way your tooth looks. I also understand from what you are saying that you are teeth are crowded . You will need orthodontic braces to correct or align your teeth .But since you are in a stage where your milk teeth are falling off you will have to wait till you get all your permanent teeth which will be around 12 to 13 years of age. You can visit your dentist then who will suggest the next line of treatment.


Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Without clinical examination and x-rays, it is difficult to comment as to whether you can get dental braces treatment or not. You can visit an orthodontist who is specialist in straightening teeth. An orthodontist will take x-rays and will take study models before giving dental braces treatment. Some dental problems are self correcting and as you are in transition stage and have mixed dentition that is both baby teeth and adult teeth are present in dental arch, so your orthodontist will find out that whether misalignment will correct on its own with time or not. If he feels that teeth will not correct on its own, then he will give dental braces to your daughter. Dental braces treatment if required will be given for duration of 18-24 months depending on extent of misalignment which is present
Answered: Sun, 20 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor