Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

10 year old having discolored patches on the body. What is the reason?

My child is 10 years old. I noticed spots of discoloration on her skin this summer in which she did swim a lot in pools this summer. At first it was noticeable on her face only, then I started to see blotches of discoloration on her joints , now it s pretty much on different areas of her entire body(front and back). and very noticeable. She also has patches of grayish white spots in her hair. I have consulted her doctor in which she gave us cream to use however, it has gotten worst..... any idea of what s going on?r
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  110
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Are the rashes itchy?

From what you say, it might be extensive Tinea Versicolor or Vitiligo.

Tinea versicolor- is a fungal infection of the skin that presents with white spots. patches, usually itchy, seen in areas of increased sweating. It can be seen in scalp but will not cause discoloration of hair.

If hair is discolored, spots are seen on the bony prominences of the joints, hands, face etc its likely to be vitiligo. Its an autoimmune disorder of the skin- where antibodies are formed against our own melanocytes.

Treatment varies according to the diagnosis.
You might get a dermatology consultation.
Best wishes.
Answered: Thu, 20 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor