Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

1 year old child, green, watery diarrhoea due to excess sugar intake. Cure?

My 1yr old son has had this very watery, green, sometimes gooey/slimey diarrhea for about 3 or 4 weeks. I asked his pediatrician about it about 2 weeks ago and she said its because of the amount of juice he is drinking. That the sugar in it is what is causing the diarrhea. I have been buying only 100% juice and tried cutting down on his sugar intake when possible. What should I do?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there,
Children of this age and above tend to suffer from what we call toddler diarrhea.
It is caused by excessive amounts of sugar found in synthetic fruit juices, chocolates and candies.
The best way to correctly diagnose this problem is to abstain from all such food items.
This results in stoppage of diarrhea. Cold drinks like cola and pepsi are also implicated in the same.
So the need of the hour is just avoidance of all that has been mentioned.
No medications are adviced for this condition. Keep your child well hydrated.
Give your child distilled water.
Take care.
Answered: Sat, 6 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor