yesterday my niece was bitten by a neighbor's dog. an

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: yesterday my niece was bitten by a neighbor's dog. an urgent care cleaned the wounds and gave her some antibiotics. when she woke up this morning I've noticed a little more redness up her arm and she says she can barely move her fingers. please see attached photos. do I need to take her for more care at a hospital or is the redness normal and I should give the antibiotics more time to work?
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You must give her more antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in "Ask a Doctor".
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I have seen carefully the attached picture and I think that there exist an inflamation (redness).
But you shouldn't worry about this redness because it is normal in this situation and you must give her more antibiotics in order to reduce the infection caused by the bite ( usually needs 5-7 days).

Hope I have answered your query.
Feel free to ask me further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Monika Dede 13 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me. We did take her to the Children's hospital and she is having 3 surgeries to clear out the Strep infection and close the wound. The doctor said the infection was starting to work it's way down into deeper tissue, but by the time we got to the hospital the initial infection (the redness up the arm) had spread to her lymph system. I hope this helps with any similar cases in the future. I know just seeing a picture can only tell you so much. Again Thank You
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have right.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in "Ask a Doctor".
Thank you writing back.

You have right , that is why it is important an objective examination for a doctor to have an exact diagnosis.

Hope and wish that your niece is better now.
Regards.