question-icon

why is sometimes take 50 mg trazodone before bed and

default
Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019
Question: why is sometimes take 50 mg trazodone before bed and keeps me up
doctor
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It means it is not acting as sedative for you

Detailed Answer:
Hello,
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about ongoing insomnia.

Trazodone is an antidepressant which also helps in sleep due to its action on histamine receptors. However no two individuals are similar and that is the reason it does not act as sedative for all the individuals who take it for sleep. In my own experience only 60% of patients with trazodone report sleep and remaining 40% report either no sleep or minimal effect on sleep.

In case 50 mg does not help you there is need to either increase the dose of trazodone (upto 100 mg it is considered sedative) or try something different.

As asked by you diphenhydramine can also be tried along with trazodone or alone for induction of sleep.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 3243 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

169 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
why is sometimes take 50 mg trazodone before bed and

Brief Answer: It means it is not acting as sedative for you Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using healthcaremagic. I read your query and understand your concerns about ongoing insomnia. Trazodone is an antidepressant which also helps in sleep due to its action on histamine receptors. However no two individuals are similar and that is the reason it does not act as sedative for all the individuals who take it for sleep. In my own experience only 60% of patients with trazodone report sleep and remaining 40% report either no sleep or minimal effect on sleep. In case 50 mg does not help you there is need to either increase the dose of trazodone (upto 100 mg it is considered sedative) or try something different. As asked by you diphenhydramine can also be tried along with trazodone or alone for induction of sleep. I hope this helps you. Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions. Thanks and regards.