while cooking, I miss placed a jar and hot oil

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: while cooking, I miss placed a jar and hot oil in it, came contact around my waist and my skin burnt. what is the medication and precautions I need to take care now. I am getting burning sensation when my clothes touch that area. will scar lost with time.? could you also suggest if any medication for that too. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will dry by itself

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It is a superficial burn and does not require much medication. It will dry by itself and I expect the scar tissue to lose with time.
You can just take precautions not to remove the dead skin or pinch the blisters (if any).
Silver sulfadiazine cream can be applied if there are any signs of infection like pus or fever etc.
A big size bandage or a lose cotton bandage may be applied over it to avoid contact with clothing. But do not tighten the cotton gauze to avoid swelling of the area.
Can clean the area with warm water.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee