when I walk around the house, I sometimes feel a

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: when I walk around the house, I sometimes feel a little light headed, slightly wobley..
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to different possible causes like: low blood pressure or orthostatic hypotension, an inner ear disorder, chronic degeneration of the cervical vertebral column, etc..

For this reason, I would recommend you to measure your blood pressure values frequently during the day in sitting and standing up position.

If your blood pressure values drop more than 20mmHg in standing up position compared to sitting position, it could be indicative of orthostatic hypotension. In such case a Head Up Tilt test would help rule in this diagnosis.

If your blood pressure values are normal, consulting with an ENT specialist for a physical exam in order to exclude an inner ear disorder would be needed.

Other tests to consider would be:

-complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes for any possible imbalance
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- a cervical spine X ray study
- a Doppler ultrasound of the cervical arteries to examine the blood flow to the brain.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri