whats medical lab tests diagnose me?
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. On the blood test results you sent, the CBC (listed under "Hematology") is normal, no problems there. On the "Chemistry", you have an elevated HbA1C, which for values greater than or equal to 6.5, diabetes is diagnosed, so you do have diabetes. Your total cholesterol, LDL, and triglycerides are high, and your HDL ("good" cholesterol) is low. Your SGPT is also slightly elevated.
Putting this all together, you have a diagnosis of diabetes, likely type 2. You will need to be started on treatment for this, typically with Metformin, if this is a new diagnosis. Your cholesterol is not good, which puts you at risk for heart disease, so even though you are young, I would probably start you on a statin medications, especially if you have other risk factors such as high blood pressure, smoking history, or if you are overweight. The SGPT is a liver enzyme, and usually for diabetic patients this would indicate you have fatty liver disease, which is fat infiltrating the liver and causing inflammation. You should have a liver ultrasound to also confirm this.
You will need to be started on the above medications, as well as start medications for your blood pressure if it is high. Most importantly, your diet will have to change, and exercise will be important as well. If you are overweight, losing 5-10% of your body weight will make a significant difference in your health.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about any of that and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining