what is edema and is cellulitis associated with it?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: what is edema? and is cellulitis associated with it?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to HealthcareMagic.

Oedema is stasis of lymphatic fluid in the subcutaneous tissue. It can occur due to many reasons like infection, heart ailments, liver ailments, etc.

Cellulitis is spreading inflammation in the subcutaneous tissue mostly due to infection, without pus formation.

And yes these both are related to each other. One can cause other and vice versa.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 16 minutes later
what are treatment options for both?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:

Cellulitis will need antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines. And oedema as a result of cellutitis will go as the cellutitis will resolve.

Oedema due to other cause, will need treatment specific to the cause after diagnosing to the cause.

Dr, Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj