what could cause elevated WBC counts?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi , my cousin is 10 year old and hi wbc is 58,800 and eosinophills is 40% . please suggest treatment ,any thing to worry?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be due to allergy with superadded infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your cousin's finding in detail.
Your cousin's WBC count is increased with raised eosinophil level,it may be due to allergy with super added infection.
He need proper clinical examination.
It is important to know his symptoms.
Please let me know his clinical details.

Underlying cause should be treated.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 7 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your reply

Doctor Khetrapal from XXXXXXX has given

Diethylcarbamazine citrate Syrup

Benocide 50 mg Syrup 7.5 ml 3 times

Is this treatable?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back

Your doctor has prescribed banocide considering it as parasitic infestation.
Banocide contains the active ingredient Diethylcarbamazine.
In children,parasite infestation is the most common cause of increased eosinophil
count.
Your doctor has rightly prescribed banocide and it is prescribed for eosinophilia due to worms.
However,other causes of increased eosinophil like allergy should also be excluded.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX