what causes periodic gurgling in chest area?
Self management / specialist's advise & treatment.
Thanks for the query on Health care magic platform.
I have read your query & will try to answer it up to your satisfaction.
There are few conditions which can lead to gurgling sound in chest.. let us consider one by one for your information.
1.The major cause is indigestion / gastrointestinal disorder which leads to gas production .. which floats up in stomach & causes gurgling sound.bloating of abdomen may or may not be evident.
This may come from Constipation,( GERD) gastro intestinal reflux disease/ peptic ulcer disease/ dyspepsia.following bowel infection, which may turn in long running problem/delayed stomach emptying/ food or drug intolerance.
2.Accumulation of cough / phlegm in lungs give same symptom of gurgling. But here it is associated with symptoms of chest infection, cough, fever, breathlessness .- Treatment of the cause is the remedy for this.
3 .Heart problems. Though heart problem does not have loud sound like gurgling, but valve disorders can give the feeling.
Investigations, pin pointing the cause followed by specific treatment is the answer to such problem.
This condition is accompanied by symptoms like breathlessness on slightest of exertion/ palpitation/ blue nail beds / tiredness etc.
If you do not have any associated symptoms about lung or heart conditions,so you can try Self management-
- To have multiple & small servings of food.
- include fruit/ salad in each serving,
- have plenty of fibers/ water ( 8- 10 glasses ) in a day
- do regular exercises- Yoga/ walking
- use of digestive enzymes over the counter.
If there is no improvement with self management or if symptoms worston,
I would suggest you to consult your family physician.. he will examine you , advise few investigations & advise medicines OR he may refer you to a chest physician/ cardiologist/ gastroenterologist for further evaluation & expert advise for management.
I hope, you will answer both informative & helpful. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain in chest
- What is the cause of soreness in chest
- What causes barrel chest
- What causes rawness in chest
- What is the cause of tremors in chest
- What are the causes of chest burn
- What causes chest vibrations
- What causes spots on chest
- What causes chest inflammation
- Periodic chest pain causes