Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What causes bleeding from urinary tract?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10135 Questions
I have suddenly had large amount so blood coming from either where I urinate or vaginally. Twice today =once at about noon and again at 4:30
Posted Sat, 6 Dec 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It can be difficult to determine without examination and testing , if the blood is genital or from the urinary tract.

If it is from the urinary tract, it should only be seen on urination either in the toilet or on wiping. In general there should be no blood seen in the underwear otherwise.

If it is from the genital organs then at least small amounts of blood may be seen in the lining of the clothes.

Blood in the urinary tract is most commonly related to infection though there are other causes such as: (1) stones,
(2) side effect of medication (anticoagulants),
(3)mass in the urinary tract (bladder, ureter, urethra or kidney)
(4)blood disorder
(6(inflammatory kidney disease

In most cases of these urinary disorders there may be other symptoms related to the urinary tract such as frequent urination, pain on urination, pain


Blood from the genital tract may be from the vaginal area, cervix, uterus, ovaries or tubes.
IT can be due to: (1)genital atrophy- after menopause the vaginal walls and other aspects of the genital start to become dry and atrophy. This can lead to bleeding

(2)polyps (non cancerous growths) of the cervix or uterus


(4)endometrial hyperplasia- The endometrium is the internal lining of the uterus.
Endometrial hyperplasia is increased thickness of the uterus. In some cases the change may be non cancerous, in other cases it may be related to cancer.

(5)endometrial cancer

To determine the exact cause, you need to consider visiting your doctor.

He or she would be able to examine you (abdominal and genital examination) and conduct tests.
A urine analysis would be needed and an ultrasound may also be suggested.

The ultrasound would be to take a look at both systems (urinary tract and genitalia).

If the ultrasound identifies any changes in the uterus, a biopsy may needed.

Treatment would depend on the cause found during assessment.

It is quite possible and likely that it is not related to any serious condition but only examination and investigations would be able to determine this.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor