what are the risks when taking glipizide and consuming alcohol?
Alcohol can increase the side effects and cause blood sugar changes.
Hello and welcome,
Both Glipizide and alcohol are metabolized (broken down) by the liver. Both use some of the same enzymes to do this. So there is competition for the same enzyme which can make the presence of alcohol increase the side effects (all of them) of Glipizide.
The other problem is that alcohol can increase blood sugar (when drunk in moderation) or markedly decrease blood sugar levels (when there is a higher concentration of alcohol). Increasing or decreasing blood sugar, while on blood sugar lowering medicine, can be a problem.
What all this means is:
1. Alcohol can increase Glipizide's side effects.
2. Alcohol can throw off the blood sugar levels.
Please let me know if I can provide further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis