What are the benefits of Spirulina?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what are the benefits of spirulina?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple benefits

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing this platform for your health questions.

Spirulina is a pulverized food supplement rich in protein, calcium, potassium, niacin, magnesium, vitamin B and iron.

Among its main benefits is cleansing the body of heavy metals, increasing the immunity by increasing the production of antibodies and infection-fighting proteins, promoting the growth of the healthy gut bacteria, preventing cancer because it is rich in antioxidants, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.

It has also shown to improve energy level and help with weight loss.

I hope this answers your question. You are welcome to ask further questions.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 21 hours later
Thank you very much for that excellent detailed answer.

Please allow me to ask a follow up question.

In May 2018, I will be 71. I am in excellent health. My 6 month bloodwork is always excellent. Last September I fast walked a half marathon, 13.1 miles, and received a medal for finishing third in my age group- 70 to 75.

About a year ago, I had an unexplained DVT in my left lower calf area. The expert Hematologist MD that I saw put me on Xarelto 20mg. daily. The blood clot successfully went away. After much testing, the medical team could find no causing factor for the DVT, and the Hematologist said I should be on 20mg. Xarelto for life because of a blood clot happening for no reason.

I have no bleeding and when I go to the dentist for 6 months hygiene, my gums bleed very little even now when I am on Xarelto. I have no bruises or no tendency for bleeding. I tolerate the Xarelto very well.

I would very much like to add spirulina to my diet after you have confirmed its numerous health benefits.

Would I have undue risk, there is always "some" risk if I added spirulina to my diet while I am on Xarelto 20 mg. daily?

Thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
30 mg per day safe to use

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion, it is still safe to add spirulina to your daily regime, despite being on xarelto. Considering that this supplement is not without side effects, and if taken in higher doses it can be toxic for the liver, I recommend you choose a good brand and take no more than 1 tablespoon per day, or 2 tablets per day.

I hope this helps. You are welcome to ask further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana