what are some foods for gluten intolerance and cel intol>

Excellent

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Question
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Diet Plans

Answered by Kathy Shattler 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello and Welcome to HealthcareMagic

Detailed Answer:
Please let me know- have you been tested for celiac disease and determined yourself be gluten intolerant? This can be a very restrictive diet with multiple potential nutrient concerns that you do not want unless it is absolutely necessary.

Foods to avoid on a gluten intolerant diet are, briefly:
Do not eat any foods containing any of the following ingredients:
Wheat (all types, including einkorn, emmer, spelt, and kamut)
Barley
Rye
Malt
Oats (unless they are gluten-free)
These ingredients are found in many food products, including flours, bread products, pasta, breakfast cereals, cakes, and cookies.

You asked for foods that can be eaten on this diet. The answer to this specific query is:
Amaranth
Arrowroot
Buckwheat
Cassava (manioc)
Corn
Flax XXXXXXX ricegrass (Montina)
Job’s tears
Legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils)
Millet
Finger millet (Ragi)
Nuts
Potatoes
Quinoa
Rice
Sago
Seeds
Sorghum
Soy
Tapioca
Tef (or teff)
Wild rice
Yucca
You may not be familiar with some of these grains and plant foods. However, they are used in gluten-free foods, and you will often find them in food ingredient lists for gluten-free products.

A note on Oats

In the past, oats were believed to be harmful to persons with celiac disease.
If you would like to eat gluten-free oats, you should discuss their use with your physician and dietitian.
Manufacturers of gluten-free oats include Cream Hill Estates, Only Oats, Gluten-Free Oats, Bob’s Red Mill, and Gifts of Nature.

If further clarification is needed, kindly contact me again and I will try to help you.

Also, if you could rate the query completeness I would appreciate it as it will help me improve my services.

This information is sourced from the Nutrition Care Manual by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, licensed to me for use with registered clients.

I hope I have answered your query to the extent expected and wish you the best of luck in your wellness pursuits, XXXXXXX J. Shattler, MS, RDN

Follow-up: what are some foods for gluten intolerance and cel intol> 1 hour later
have not been tested yet.

Answered by Kathy Shattler 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No reason to worry about a gluten-free until testing done

Detailed Answer:
I would like to add that gluten is primarily a problem of the malabsorption of foods in the grain group so dairy (without additives), fruit, vegetables, fats and many protein sources are ok.

The info entered into the query says "no g.i. problems" so I am not sure if you are asking for yourself or someone else so as to further address this issue. I do know that cardiac issues may be related to celiac disease and I see you have had a cardiac XXXXXXX done. Perhaps this is the reason for the inquiry.

Often ignored signs of gluten intolerance include "fuzzy thinking", keratosis, diagnosis of an autoimmune disease or an elevation in ANA titers, depression, epilepsy, joint pain, mood swings and or poor anger management.

If a wheat allergy is suspected or other food intolerance, I suggest visiting an allergist trained to test with all 3 gold standard methods, skin prick, blood test and food challenge with medical supervision.

Your questions are quite brief leaving me hopeful that I am addressing your concerns.

Again, I hope I have further addressed your concerns.

My best, XXXXXXX