very persistent cough, i don%E2%80%99t smoke or drink, had a
Get done PFT.
Thanks for your question on Ask a doctor forum.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you are mostly having bronchitis (inflammation of airways).
You are improving with Claritin and pulmicort.
This is suggestive of bronchitis.
So get done PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
Chest x ray is normal in bronchitis most of the time.
So get done PFT and start treatment accordingly.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for COPD
- What causes chronic cough?
- Suggest treatment for interstitial lung disease
- Suggest treatment for bronchiectasis
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and sleeping problems
- What causes dizziness after eating red meat?
- How to avoid insomnia caused by Albuterol taken for COPD treatment?
- What causes prolonged fever?
- Suggest treatment for clogged ears and inflamation in sinus passage
- What causes white foamy sputum when suffering from COPD?