took aleeve pain pills for a couple days then started
Stop pain killer and go for colonoscopy and endoscopy.
Thanks for asking query on this forum,
Have seen your details,
Naproxen belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
As per standard text-
"NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious, even fatal, stomach and intestinal adverse reactions such as bleeding, ulcers, and perforation of the stomach or intestines"
Naproxen belongs to the same class of medication.
Generally, blood coming from higher levels (stomach and small bowel) converts into a dark coal black color due to the changes the blood has in the bowel. It is the bleeding from lower parts (colon) that will show as bright red blood.So if you can see fresh blood then that might be coming from lower part of gut however if it is tarry black in color very likely chances of bleed are from stomach or duodenum.
Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? After the age of 50, it is recommended that all people should have a colonoscopy every 5-10 years. Even if you have had this test in the last 5 years it might be recommended to repeat it as you are having this bleeding if the stool tests confirm you are really bleeding.
If blood is fresh colonoscopy should be done however if stools are tarry black go for endoscopy to rule out ulcers or perforation in ulcers in stomach or duodenum.
So to conclude:
1. A stool test like fecal occult blood test and or stool microscopy for blood should be done for screening.
2. if it is confirmed that you are bleeding then you will need a Endoscopy/colonoscopy to find the cause of it.
3)If you had any massive rectal bleeding than an urgent visit to a doctor is needed.
Stop any sort of pain killer.
I hope this is helpful and answers your questions but please feel free to reply in case any more clarification is needed on this.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?