started with diarreah on Friday had my last episode Saturday

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: started with diarreah on Friday had my last episode Saturday night! not really been eating or drinking much. I have been eating normally and drinking normally today but when I do i feel like passing out and then feel tired could this just be because my body has lost a lot of fluid over 2 days ? I have no other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It sounds like you are dehydrated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. With your description especially of feeling light headed or like passing out, I would suspect that you are still low on fluids. Often when we have diarrhea we can lose several liters of fluid, and it may be that you have not made that all up yet. It could also be that you are still having some effects of whatever causes diarrhea, whether it be a virus or toxin, and it may take a few more days to feel better. However, I would recommend that you drink plenty of fluids, especially ones with electrolytes such as juice or Gatorade if it is available. I suspect that this will help you significantly and that you will feel better fairly soon.

If you were to develop a fever or abdominal pain, this may be a sign of something more serious going on, but from what you have told me, it sounds like this illness is resolving and I would not expect you to have any complications.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 3 hours later
Thankyou I will defiantly do this
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome, please let me know if I can help with anything in the future. Thank you for your question and take care of.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng