started having diarrehea and vomitng yesterday morning. Vomiting was limited
diarrehea has continued for past 36 hours. have take immodium (4) in last 36hours.
began flecainide for rapid bpm about ten days ago, same with eliquis. diet has been limited to bananas, applesauce,english muffin and some rice
fluid and electrolytes, hold solids for short time, probiotics
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic
Acute/recent onset of diarrhea and vomiting is most commonly due to infection, particularly viral or bacterial, with viral infections being more common
Flecainide can cause diarrhea and vomiting but it is a very rare side effect that occurs in only 1 to 3% of persons who use this medication according to medscape drug interaction checker.
Since the effect is so rare then the more likely cause would be an infection. Most infections are self limiting.
In general medications such as immodium are not used unless the diarrhea is very severe or lasting a long period of time or the person has to travel etc.
Most persons advise allowing the virus/bacteria to run its course and leave the gut , by halting the stool prematurely, it is possible to delay natural healing
In diarrhea the ability of the gut to absorb food is reduced and any solid food used (even BRAT diet), can cause an episode of diarrhea or delay healing again. Solid food is used when there is a 4 hour interval with no diarrhea.
When 4 hours pass, with no diarrhea, it means that the gut may be healing and able to absorb food, small amounts of the BRAT diet can be started then.
Fluid and electrolyte replacement is very important to replace the fluids and electrolytes that you are losing. Oral hydration packs would be helpful here.
Probiotics can also help to speed up healing but restoring the body's normal gut flora.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?