started experiencing mild to medium leg pain about 2 months

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2017
Jan 2017

Cardiologist
Question
started experiencing mild to medium leg pain about 2 months ago. Dr took me off my Simvastatin cause he thought it was causing the problem. Slight change for the better at first but lately it seems to be getting worse. I weigh 194 and am 65 years old. Pretty good health all my life. Never smoker. Social drinker 2-3 beers a day. Any thoughts or ideas i could explore?
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Provide me some more details of your complaints

Detailed Answer:
Let me know some more details of the symptom.
Is it localized to one area or occurs in whole leg, one sided or both sided, occurs at rest or on exertion and relieves with rest, any other symptoms like tingling, numbness or any lesion, redness, swelling over the leg, occurs through out the day or only during particular time, does it increase on pressing over the leg, in general the factors which increases or decreases the pain, is it localized to leg only or occurs through out the lower limb from hip to leg?
There are multiple reasons for led pain, the common ones are vascular increases with exertion, related to nerves, joints pain, trauma, etc.
So please get back with some more details.
So please let me know the above details so I can provide some possibilities.

Follow-up: started experiencing mild to medium leg pain about 2 months 32 minutes later
Seems to start at the hips and go down to the calf. Nothing in the ankle or foot. Feels like i ran a marathon the day before. I go to the gym 3 days a week and if i had to describe it my guess would be its nerve pain vs muscle pain. Does that make sense? Hurts more so when sleeping than during the day but lately seems to always be there. no redness or swelling or lesions. I work every day but not strenuously. Can this be alcohol related? Seems if i have a glass or two of red wine the next day the pain feels greater?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its likely a nerve pain

Detailed Answer:
So it's likely a nerve pain called as sciatica. This occurs due to compression of the nerves in the lower back region or hip, and gives pain along the course of nerve.
This is usually look after by neurologist and orthopedician. I don't think it's related to simvastatin at all, you should restart it. For treatment, we initially try medical therapy and if doesn't respond then surgery to relieve compression. However, most patients responds very well to medicines and physiotherapy. We starts patients on neurobion forte once a day which is nerve vitamin and Tab Pregabalin 75 mg bedtime, which is nerve stabilizer. Also, get investigations like X ray of lumber spine AP/lat view and hip. May need MRI later.
so you should discuss with your doctor regarding this.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.