Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
147 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

recently had an eeg. It came back abnormal, due to

Answered by
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 8742 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Mar 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: recently had an eeg. It came back abnormal, due to occasional isolated sharp and slow wave discharges localizing to the left side of the brain, what does that mean, was in a car accident about seven months ago, have had pain and anxiety ever since, possibly hit my head in the accident, could this be related, also report says suspicion of irritative pathology on the left side, what does all this mean
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 9 minutes later
Day of the seizure was kind of warm, was laying under the covers on a heating pad, could I have overheated, went to er ct scan was fine, bloodwork was fine, seizure only lasted about a minute, with some shaking according to my husband, did not turn blue or wet myself
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably epilepsy should be excluded through further examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

The sharp and slow wave discharges can be related to epilepsy.

Other possible causes can have a psychological orgin.

Epilepsy should be excluded through further examinations.

I suggest a neurological exam. A neurologist may test your behavior, motor abilities and mental function.

I also suggest a complete blood count.

Another examination can be a monitoring video when conducting an EEG while you're awake or asleep, to record any seizures you experience.

These examinations are needed to confirm the origin of your seizures and take proper treatment.

A visit at a neurologist is recommended for further evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on