problem with right ear lobe. abnormal black spot in ear. Suggest the further steps?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I am XXXXXXX I have problem with my right ear lobe.There is a abnormal black spot in my ear for last 4 months.Can you please suggest me for the further steps.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spots is "Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation"

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic.

I have gone through your picture thoroughly. The picture shows a spot with greyish black color on the right ear lobe.

We call these spots as "Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation" or also known as PIH. This can be formed after an increase in activity of the melanocytes (which are the color producing cells) in the superficial skin. These are activated if there had been any kind of mild to moderated inflammation had occurred at the local site which may be due to any simple friction or trauma to the skin or due to the sun damage to the skin also. One more important cause of such a pigmentation is because of drug allergy also.

TO differentiate between simple inflammation and drug allergy can you please tell me that
- whether you observed this pigmentation after consuming any pain killers or any other medicines
- is there any increase or decrease in pigmentation after taking any medication
- Is it stagnant or increasing in darkness since onset.

Any how all these type of Post inflammatory hyperpigmentations are very much commonly observed especially on exposed area of Indian skin.

You can apply Kojic acid or Azelaic acid creams in a very thin layer at night time. You will be seeing improvement in next 4-5 weeks period.

I hope these informations will help you.
With good health wishes,