pain in lower left arm feels like its been punched
Possible pinched nerve pain
Thank you for using 'Ask a doctor' to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
The pain you are describing seems more like a pinched nerve pain.
Nerves go through in small canals in between the muscle and bone. Since it is starting from the shoulder then most probably the problem if the pinched nerve starts from there. Maybe you have done a movement that might have caused it, like weight lifting for example?
Or you have had a posture where you keep your shoulders not in their usual position? Or you slept on that side for a prolonged duration... Many factors can be there, hence, pinching the way the nerve goes.
In order to avoid this pain make sure to avoid that movement or position (if you can think of one).
Also, you can take a pain killer regularly for a few days, to help reduce the inflammation in the nerve. Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times per day for the next 3-4 days will be good if you do not have contraindications for its use. You can also use an analgesic local cream (eg. Diclofenac) to help the recovery- use it 3-4 times per day over the affected area.
If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor. It generally needs 4-6 weeks for the nerve to recover.
Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Confirmed the previous advises.
Thank you for the follow up question.
Yes, the extra information confirms me what I adviced in the previous answer.
Please follow those advises and let me know if you have other questions or concerns.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes bulge around rectal area that appears post exercise?
- Suggest tests to diagnose herpes infection
- What causes difficulty in losing weight while suffering from blood clot...
- Can Hydroxycut be taken daily along with Metformin?
- Suggest treatment for torn achilles tendon and nerve pain on left foot
- Can Clindamycin cause tendon rupture?
- What causes tender lesions on back spreading towards breast?
- What is low body temperature defined as?
- How long does Morphine remain in the body?
- What causes fever, cough and strange sound while breathing?