my wife forgot to wipe off cetaphil mouturing lotion that

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 25 Dec 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: my wife forgot to wipe off cetaphil mouturing lotion that she applied on breats while express pumping her milk into a bottle. is it okay to feed that milk to my 15 days baby?

thanks.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
just discard the initial expressions, then it can be given...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

Well, there are numerous chemicals in Cetaphil, and some of them may or may not have any harmful interactions with respect to the expressed breastmilk (wiping it off may not be beneficial always as it can absorb deep into the skin and blood vessels)...

So, a better option would be to discard the initial amounts of expressions (first 15-20 ml), then put the breastmilk into the bottle... in case of any doubt, it'd be better to discard this already expressed one, and store freshly expressed milk after washing the bottle thoroughly with RO/mineral water...

Hope this answers your query...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee