my son is 3 next month and today he woke

Pediatrician
Question
my son is 3 next month and today he woke up and was holding the back of his neck saying it hurts..
He doesn't feel like he has a fever but he has had a lingering cold for a month now..
Its 45 min after he's gotten up and he's still holding the back of his neck.. he is getting more talkative and watching a movie but I'm wondering if I should bring him into a pediatrician
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neck

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.

It is very possible that his sleep position was such that it tightened the muscles in his neck. This could easily explain the neck pain. If he continues to be more active as the day goes on, there is no need to worry. If not, it is worth a look by your pediatrician. In either case, I do believe the diagnosis will be just a tight muscle that needs time to loosen. In the meantime, warm compresses to the area may help.
Regarding the prolonged cold symptoms, most kids have been experiencing this since winter began. In the absence of fever, irritability, and fatigue, I wouldn't make much of it.

Follow-up: my son is 3 next month and today he woke 6 minutes later
ok thank you..

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YW

Detailed Answer:
You are very welcome.

Good luck.