question-icon

my son 6 years cut himself on the upper lip

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019
Question: my son 6 years cut himself on the upper lip using my husband's razor , who is HIV positive.. is he at the risk of infection? the razor was not used for 24 hours. really worried. please advice
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Some risk is there although it is minimal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

The risk of transmission of HIV from a used razor that does not have fresh bodily secretions on it, is minimal, but nevetheless is not zero. You need to administer post-exposure anti-retroviral prophylaxis to your child while you send his blood for evaluation. This needs to be taken seriously and managed properly.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician