my sgpt and sgot level raised upto 62. how i
Stop alcohol consumption and stop taking medicines that cause liver damage.
Welcome to Ask a Doctor.
SGOT and SGPT are usually raised if there is some liver damage.
Liver cells can get damaged by alcohol, any amount of alcohol can cause this, so if you consume alcohol, you must stop it, or at the very least reduce the amount consumed drastically.
The second cause if certain medicines like paracetamol and ayurvedic medicines, these can also cause severe liver damage and hence the enzymes can be elevated.
Apart from these, there are some other causes such as obstruction to bile outflow, like a stone that has blocked the bile duct can also cause elevated liver enzymes.
You need to be looked at by a surgeon and an internist to look for the exact cause.
If you are taking any herbal medicines, or ayurvedic formulations, you must stop them at once.
Please do consult your surgeon and internist for a complete evaluation.
Hope you will find this information useful.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...