my right hand ring finger started hurting about two months

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 28 Feb 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my right hand ring finger started hurting about two months ago. No event that I know of just a mild pain like if you had jammed it. I thought it would go away in a day or a week but it has gotten progressively more painful and the knuckle locks up when I straighten or bend the finger toward my palm. extremely painful when it locks up and when I unlock it. in addition it seems that the pain and discomfort is spreading to the rest of the hand. any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be stenosing tenosynovitis/trigger finger

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that your symptoms are related to a condition called stenosing (narrowing) tenosynovitis (irritation of the tendon and its covering/sheath)- this is also called trigger finger.

It is due to thickening of the tendon in a part of the palm, this thickening therefore affects the ability of tendon to glide along its sheath. The exact reason for this change is not clear.

It can sometimes occur with persons with one or more of these conditions- diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis (build up of something called granules in the body), hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels). These are some of the conditions that can occur with it, there are others.
In many persons there is no associated condition.

One or more steroid injection into the sheath around the tendon along with the use of a splint, can be very helpful in the majority of persons.

If this fails then surgical repair is considered

You may want to be assessed by your doctor to find the cause of your symptoms and determine if it is trigger finger

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 hours later
I am traveling and wont be home until march 8,2019. Will it matter if I delay going to the doctor until I get home?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
that's fine

Detailed Answer:
HI,

No, that's fine.

If the pain is severe then you can use over the counter meds to try and control it till you can be assessed eg naproxen or cataflam or ibuprofen etc