my mother was in hospital for irregular heart beat. They

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: my mother was in hospital for irregular heart beat. They did ekg, heart scan, and stress test and all came back ok. she normally has a low heart beat and the doctor put her on metropol. does she need to worry about her heart beat going to low?
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 0 minute later
my mother was in hospital for irregular heart beat. They did ekg, heart scan, and stress test and all came back ok. she normally has a low heart beat and the doctor put her on metropol. does she need to worry about her heart beat going to low?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low heart beat possible consequences

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Sometimes, irregular heart beat can happen in a healthy heart, for reasons such as stress and anxiety or an electrolyte imbalance. A normal heart beat usually varies from 60 to 100 beats per minute. A low heart beat, usually closest to the lower threshold of 60, is considered a sign of a healthy heart, because it means that the heart does not have to exercise too much effort in order to pump blood.

However, a heart beat of 50 or below, which is called bradycardia, carries the risk of fainting due to insufficient blood to the brain and as a consequence, falls and bone fractures. Although a low heart beat is usually associated with low blood pressure, it may, over time lead to high blood pressure.

A low functioning thyroid or certain medications may be the cause of a low heart beat, so my advice is that if her heart beat falls below 60 and is accompanied by symptoms such as feeling lightheaded, fainting or chest pain, your mother should see a doctor in order to determine the cause of the bradycardia and get the appropriate medication.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Low heart beat possible consequences

Detailed Answer:

Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 10 minutes later
her heart beat runs from 58-66 normally. Will the medicine make it drop a lot?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on medicine

Detailed Answer:
It depends on what kind of medicine she is taking. Some medication for high blood pressure may cause low heart beat.
Brief Answer:
Depends on medicine

Detailed Answer:
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 16 minutes later
they put her on 25mg of metropol
they put her on 25mg of metropol
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metoprolol may cause low heart beat

Detailed Answer:

Metoprolol does decrease the heart rate and in a patient with a preexistent bradycardia it carries the risk to drop the heart beat even lower, so they should monitor her vitals while on this medication. There are two forms of metoprolol, immediate-release and slow-release. Studies have shown that the risk of bradycardia is lower with the slow - release form of Metoprolol.

Brief Answer:
Metoprolol may cause low heart beat

Detailed Answer: