my lips go dry and keep cracking. every now and

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: my lips go dry and keep cracking. every now and than. I apply petroleum jelly. i have a proper diet. but don't eat much of fruits. eat dry fruits everyday
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow the advice, observe how you stay afterwards...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

Well, since it's happening despite applying petroleum jelly, perhaps it needs more frequent and in-depth attention...

Firstly, please check if you tend to have any habit of licking the lips every now and then...if so, please avoid it all together...

Instead of petroleum jelly, apply simple paraffin jelly, and observe how you stay afterwards...

Since cold air and weather of winter can further worsen this, try to keep the lips covered while going outside... additionally please focus on having plenty of fruits (especially the seasonal citrus fruits eg. lemons, oranges etc.)...have plenty of water throughout the day to remain well hydrated (remember, the good skin reflects on how hydrated you are)...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee