my brother is 54 with downs sysdrom.commuication is some times
Please see detalied answer
Hi and Welcome to "Ask A Doctor" service. I have read your question and here is my advice .
Sorry to hear of his disease. I can understand the difficulties of managing such patients.
Infact there are few possible causes of his appetite loss.
1.One reason may be his acute illness .Any infection and specially respiratory ones can cause loss of appetite .This may remain for quite some time even if the disease is cured .
2 .Soda bicarb : One common side effect of this is to supress appetite and cause nausea and vomiting. This may have a role .
3 . Constipation may also cause loss of appetite so it's important that he moves his bowel .
4 .peptic ulcer disease.
So this may be caused by any reason.If he is otherwise feeling good and not very sick , we can watch it carefully for a while .For the time being we should incourage more fluids , give him less fibers, taking calories in drinks may be more pallitable , reduce bicarb( with your doc advice ) and give it only after foods .
Give some antacids like gaviscon for few days .
Foods sprinkled with lemon or venegar may stimulate hunger .
Also make sure his thyroid drugs was rightly reduced by cheking his TSH ( to be normal ) .Low thyroxine is imp cause of loss of appetite.
If he has constipation, give some lexatives .
These are few thing besides carefull watching if he is coming back , if things get worse or he feels too sick , or no improvement in few days then he should be taken to doctor proper assessment and evaluation.
Hope I have answered your question.Please feel free to ask if you have any concern . I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Rahman.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hello. In Mid-May I spent two weeks traveling in a
- I have severe insomnia . so I have taken 2
- Hello, I am trying to find how to complete sentences
- awakened dizzy this morning with a cold sweat. took my
- Would 250 mg daily of magnesium have adverse effect on
- I have been having a feeling of something moving up
- I received my MRI and MRA of both brain and
- at what low dose of predisone does your adernal glands
- blood test results how high is it when you are
- Ulcer pain keeps me from sleeping. Can I take Tylenol