my 5.10 yrs daughter is suffering from allergy from sep

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 30 Mar 2018 in Child Health
Question: my 5.10 yrs daughter is suffering from allergy from sep 17 .yesterday i went to the dr he suggested pns ct scan for blockage of nose . ct scan report maxillary sinus both sides wherw left is greator than right and left ethmiod and left spheniod sinus. my confusion is rhat spheniod sinus at 5 years and 10months of age is possible
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Allergies are often encountered in children. Sometimes they are associated with sinusitis. Sinusitis can occur in children of this age. I would insist you to upload the CT scan report and I can guide you accordingly.

Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses, the air pockets contained in our skull. It is most often caused due to viral although occasionally there is a superadded bacterial infection present. Antibiotics or any other medicines cannot reach the sinuses properly and sinuses have a poor blood supply. Antibiotics may relieve the superadded bacterial infections, but the unresolved underlying infection may flare up subsequently. Taking steam inhalation can provide relief as it helps in opening up the openings of the sinuses that have been blocked by thickened mucus. Water in form of vapour will reach deep inside and will help in dilute the thickened mucus.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
ct scan report attached . plz tell me how to treat my daughter's sinus
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Image not attached

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Unfortunately I do not see any attachment. You can upload the attachments using the facility on the upper right of this page. Alternatively you can email the attachments to YYYY@YYYY with the query id 363390 and my name mentioned in the subject.

I would await your response.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 46 hours later
sorry for the delay . i uploaded the report plz find the report and suggest me the remedy and tell me how serious this is
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. I have checked the CT scan report. As mentioned in the earlier communication, sinuses are air filled pockets with poor blood supply. Steam inhalation would be the mainstay of treatment. Taking some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for a few days during the flare ups should help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T