my 4 year old daughter fell off of a wooden

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: my 4 year old daughter fell off of a wooden step stool today and the bottom step pushed into her abdomen enough to knock the wind out of her for a second and she cried for about 5 minutes. about an hour later getting ready for bed, she said she felt weird. my husband asked her if she felt dizzy and she said yes. she also mentioned her shoulder hurt. she ran around some and we put her to bed about 30 minutes later. do you think theres cause for alarm?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be a cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that going by the description things do not appear unusual. The main concern however is head injury. If 'head injury' occurs, it will not be without manifestations. The main concern could be the ominous signs of head injury which are:
* Vomiting
* Severe headache
* Altered consciousness or Loss of consciousness
* Convulsions

I assume that none of these have occurred. Unless any of these are present you need not worry. If any of these occur, you would need to get a CT scan of the brain done. As of now, I would not be concerned about her feeling 'weird' because she is otherwise running around (and therefore well). Since she possibly got hit in the abdomen, it is perhaps ok to have some pain. Give paracetamol or acetaminophen in case the child is irritable due to pain. Unless the abdomen seems grossly bloated you need not worry.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy