my 3 months old baby boy is coughing ( we

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sun, 10 Mar 2019 in Child Health
Question: my 3 months old baby boy is coughing ( we see him doing continuously getting 8-10 coughs). and it happened more than 5 times today. should we be concerned about it? should we offer him any medicine? or what are the breaking points to consider offering medicine for cough to him. and what kind of medicine we can give if he passes that breaking point? we are applying vics baby rub for about twice daily. and planning to rub zinda tilusmath oil along with coconut oil for his head.. is this going to help him? can we continue doing it? thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough should not be treated at this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello... cough should not be treated in this age group.

Cough is a protective reflex.

Unless the child is having severe respiratory distress, inability to feed and high grade fever more than another one degrees Fahrenheit and grunting along with bluish discoloration of the lips and fingers you need not worry.

Please keep a watch on the respiratory rate and if it is more than 60 beats per minute he will require hospitalization.

Do not apply any oils for Vicks on the baby.

Best regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 38 minutes later
and doctor his mom is suffering from cough and it's hurting her chest while coughing. and we see she is getting fever as well as we checked temperature just now and it's been 100.8 and 101.3. can you please how should we treat her without effecting the child? also can we breastfeed now that she got fever? 😐
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can give her dolo 650 one tablet every 8 hourly

Detailed Answer:
You can give her dolo 650 one tablet every 8 hourly once.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng