Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
195 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

ive had pain in the centre of my chest that

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3343 Questions

Posted on Wed, 27 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: ive had pain in the centre of my chest that cones and goes it woke me up in the night could this be muscle related
im sure its not my heart
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
may not be muscle or cardiac pain....

Detailed Answer:

You said the pain woke you up from sleep. I would like to know few details that might help me understand the problem.
1. How long are you dealing with the pain?
2. Do you feel it as pain or burning discomfort?
3. Do you feel nauseated, abdominal fullness along with it?
4. Do you have breathing difficulty?
5. Are you able to perform your daily activities or climb flight of stairs without discomfort?
6. Did you sustain any kind of injury before the pain started?
7. Are you running fever?

Assuming the pain started abruptly and it woke you from sleep, the pain is most likely related to digestion - probably acid reflux. But before concluding, I wish to know more from you.

Awaiting your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
hi i can do everything still and its been there for the pasr few days
ive got no fever
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
non cardiac pain most likely...

Detailed Answer:

It would have been good if you had answered all my questions. I assume there are no associated complaints and the pain you felt is a dull ache and not a burning discomfort.

Based on those details symptomatically the pain is most likely not cardiac (not arising from heart). However the symptoms are not specific to either acid reflux or muscular pain. Therefore it would be worthwhile to get an EKG; to make sure we don't miss out something important.

In the interim, I would suggest to rest adequately and not to involve in strenuous physical activities. You may also take over the counter proton pump inhibitor - prilosec OTC.

Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on