is farting a lot a sign of colic in babies?
Colicy babies cry for 3-4 hours before sleeping at night
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
There is no specific test to know colic.
It is diagnosed based on its clinical symptoms. Following symptoms are seen:
- Loud crying for more than 3 hours at a stretch, facial flushing, hands clenched, legs drawn upwards, abdomen distended and tense, paleness around mouth, passing stools or fart provides some relief
- cause is unknown, maybe related to unhygienic food or water by breastfeeding mother or by baby, underdeveloped intestine that is unable to digest milk, etc
- starts usually by first week of life and resolves by 12 weeks
- management is by comforting the baby during the crying episodes, regular feeds, its ok to let the baby cry, burping the baby after feeds, regular watch on baby weight. It is possible that the baby is crying due to hunger.
- not much effective medicines available
- colic doesnt have any long term complications
Farting a lot maybe a sign of indigestion of milk. It may happen due to underdeveloped intestine and may clear by 3-6 months of age. It may also be due to lactose intolerance. If baby is gaining weight normally, I will not worry much.
Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if I can assist you further.