is cardioversion for afib dangerous with a 30 EF?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that electric cardioversion for afib when performed under general anesthesia, is considered a safe and efficient procedure, even in the presence of a decreased cardiac function.

Nevertheless, in a patient who is suffering from heart failure, with reduced ejection fraction, the chances of a persistent afib irrespective of cardio-version strategy are higher compared with a patient without any cardiomyopathy.

As electric cardioversion is safe even in a thirty percent EF patient, the procedure success rate may be increased if no important homeostatic alterations are present.

Coming to this point, it is necessary that before cardioversion, checking several lab tests:

- thyroid function tests,
- blood electrolyte levels,
- arterial blood gas analysis
- complete blood count, PCR,
- blood glucose level,
- liver and renal function tests.

Before cardioversion, an open discussion with your attending cardiologist would be necessary to clarify the above mentioned issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri