im having bad brain fog, im having mood swings, i

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
im having bad brain fog, im having mood swings, i cant think straight, i feel very detached, i cant even leave my house because i csnt function, my short term memory is gone. i never had this problem before till i was put on a benzodiazepines? ive been off for 5 months
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Improvement may take up to twelve months.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using Healthcaremagic.com.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Cognitive impairment as a possible adverse effect of drugs use is a well known feature ( benzodiazepines may cause cognitive impairment in about 20-30% of the patients).

I think in your case anxiety and depression besides benzodiazepines withdrawal are contributing to cognitive impairment since these issues are lasting.

Since benzodiazepines adverse effects are difficult to be treated, ( improvement with time is expected in six to twelve months ), anxiety and depression correct treatment is necessary to improve your condition.

In mean time, reversible causes such cobalamin deficiency should be investigated further with appropriate blood tests and a healthy lifestyle should be followed.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.