question-icon

im a alcoholic. Ive been to detox twice and dont

Posted on Tue, 2 Apr 2019
Question: im a alcoholic. Ive been to detox twice and dont plan on going back. I did have a manageable level until the last few days. Today I had a trigger. Even though I do not plan on going to ER or facility, I do plan on going back to AA and getting some help. I had 9 drinks from yesterday at 2:30pm until around 11pm or so. I am on Klonopin for anxiety and take a low dose as needed. im also good at not trying to mix the two. was going to try to wait until 8:30am to take only a half of a .5mg which works a good 6-8 hours for anxiety and panic without drinking, but At 3:30am I felt panic and withdrawal. thinking maybe i could have done the half a pill but was scared so I drank 3 drinks between 3:30am and 4am. when is it safe for me to only take half of a .5mg of Klonopin now after the drinks ive had? i dont want to drink anymore and is more manageable under low dose benzo. just dont want to mix and get myself in trouble. Thanks for the help! :)
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Don't take klonipin while drinking alcohol.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service. I read your query and here is my advice.

It is absolutely not advisable you take klonipin while you drink alcohol because you are at higher risk of side effects such as drowsiness, unusual behavior, problems with coordination, memory problems, and dizziness.

Also some more serious side effects can happen include the slowing of the heart, the slowing of the breathing rate, having difficulty breathing, passing out, and death.

There is not an exact time when alcohol is cleared by your system because it depends on dosage but a mean time it can be 24 hours that your system may be cleaned.

Klonopin is not to be taken even in very small amounts of alcohol intake such cough syrups.

If you experience any symptoms I mentioned earlier you should go to ER.

Hope, ope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka