question-icon

i stepped on scale yesterday and it said 220 and

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Question: i stepped on scale yesterday and it said 220 and now today it says 245 how can i possible gain that much weight in a day i dont know what could cause that to happen any medical reasons
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch,
Thanks for using the 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I also don't think it would be medically possible to gain 25 lb in one day. The only way that I can conceive of this happening would be if you ingested 25 lb of fluids in one day and did not have any urine output. If you have noticed any decreased urine output or swelling throughout your body, you should have your kidneys checked for any problems there.

But otherwise, I would suspect that there is a problem with the scale itself, and I would try to reconfirm your weight with another scale before getting too concerned.

I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Aaron Branch