i have purple spots on my penis. Is this dangerous?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i have purple spots on my penis. Is this dangerous?
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 3 minutes later
i was using a cock ring the day before and im assuming that was the cause. im wondering if it will heal on its own or if i should go to the ER
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It should heal on its own, please follow the advice, observe how you stay afterwards

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query...

I've reviewed the attached image, it seems like an area of small bruises over the penis. The penis is a highly vascular organ, even a small amount of trauma can cause injury to the small capillaries resulting in such small bruises.

Yes, it could be due to the use of cock-ring (due to excessive pressure and stress)...It should go away on its own within a few days only (at the XXXXXXX 7-10days)...

As of now, please refrain from using the cock-ring... Also, it'll be better not to engage in any sexual activities until further recovery as further excitement can only increase the risk of further trauma and complicate/delay healing...

Please stay hydrated by drinking a lot of water, have plenty of salads and citrus fruits (eg. lemon, lime, oranges etc.) as they'll fasten the recovery process...perhaps apply some cold compression gently over the area twice to thrice daily for the next 2-3days...

No, it's doesn't seem to be too concerning, no need to go to the ER, just follow the advice and observe how you stay afterwards...

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee