question-icon

i have lost 10 lbs in the last 3 months

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Question: i have lost 10 lbs in the last 3 months for no reason, i had a cbc test done and everything was fine. my alk phos and AST is low.
i have no pain except for my neck and upper back which i contribute to work and my forearms are sore when i lift something, i have also experienced pain in the finger and thumb, which has gone away now.
no ones seems to know why i'm losing weight. can you think of any other test to do or check
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Probably celiac disease, some examinations are suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Having a lower than normal level of ALP can be related to many medical conditions.

The most common cause can be celiac disease which can also explain the loss of weight.

I would recommend the following examinations :

-A serology testing looking for antibodies in your blood to exclude celiace disease.

-Liver enzymes to check for liver function

-Creatinine and blood urea level to check for kidney function

-Vitamin D level

After the examinations you can contact me again for further evaluation.

Meanwhile, I recommend using anti inflammatory medication such as Naproxen 500 mg three times a day.

I also recommend to use a multivitamin supplement.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi