question-icon

i have hypoglycemia .and when i especially drink diet soda

Posted on Wed, 20 Feb 2019
Question: i have hypoglycemia.and when i especially drink diet soda ,I can feel a sensation at the bottom of my feet some burning.this has happened for years.can you tell me why?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Probably peripheral neuropathy due to hypoglicemia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to peripheral neuropathy due to hypoglycemia.

The low level of sugar can cause nerve damage causing burning feet.

I recommend measuring regularly the blood glucose level to maintain it under control.

I would also recommend doing nerve function tests to confirm the diagnosis.

Meanwhile, I recommend using over the counter medications such as Naproxen 500 mg three times a day.

I also recommend using topical medication for local application at the feet twice a day.

I suggest to keep a good hygiene of the feet, eat healthy and exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi